The 14th Santos Tour Down enters a new era in 2012, post the appearances of Lance Armstrong which the race built a new level of recognition on as it entered the UCI’s ProTour, with a renewed Australian focus on the six-stage race this January with the unveiling of WorldTour neophytes GreenEdge.
The race receives a further shake-up in the form of the longed-for hill-top finish on Stage 5 at Old Willunga Hill along with a new classification process to be used for the first time for SKODA King of the Mountain climbs where Menglers Hill on Stage 4, and Old Willunga Hill on Stage 5 have received Cat 1 status.
In 2011, Cameron Meyer (Garmin-Cervelo) brought the traditional sprinter’s dominance of the race to an abrupt end becoming the first non-sprinter since 2006 to take the Tour Down Under’s overall prize, despite the presence of Mark Cavendish (HTC-Highroad), Tyler Farrar (Garmin-Cervelo) and two-time winner, Andre Greipel (Omega Pharma-Lotto). The man who got closest to Meyer, was Matt Goss (HTC-Highroad) two seconds in arrears on general classification, and with the two Australians set to take the start line in Prospect wearing GreenEdge kit, this year more than ever it may be a case of anything could happen.
- Jan 14 - Santos Tour Down Under 2012 Jan 15-22
- Jan 13 - Liquigas-Cannondale 2012 Team.
- Jan 12 - 2012 NIKE MARK CAVENDISH
- Jan 11 - Gabe Winawer
- Jan 10 - Omega-Pharma-Quick Step
- Jan 9 - Simon Gerrans Wins Australia Road National Championships 2012!
- Jan 8 - Cavendish for NIKE.
- Jan 7 - RadioShack-Nissan Jersey 2012
- Jan 6 - RadioShack-Nissan ready..
- Jan 5 - Team Sky 2012.